Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bourbon Coffee

So even though we don’t get internet in the house, we DO get it at the local hangout; a Starbucks-like café called “Bourbon Coffee”. The service here might compete with Bluefields for the worst in the world, but the couches are comfy, the coffee’s good, and there’s electricity plugs everywhere to hook up your computer. Right now they’re playing reggae music, so I’m being brought even further into my Nicaragua nostalgia, but the fact that I’m speaking English with the waiters and actually kind of chilly is reminding me that I’m here instead.

The clientele are ALL expats. I hear French, English (both American and British), Spanish, Dutch, German… I’m definitely in an international environment, that’s for sure. Everyone also has a little computer with them… most of them are Mac’s, I’m happy to note. I totally feel like I’m in Brooklyn, to be honest.

Outside it’s rainy. Boo. According to the locals, we’re in the rainy season even though the rainy season is supposed to end mid-January. The weather patterns seem to be changing everywhere you go the world. Rainy season means either a torrential downpour for a few hours each day followed by Ithaca-like overcast skies the rest of the time, or intermittent misting all day… it depends on who you ask. So far today, it’s been the torrential-downpour kind of day, but now it’s misting. I think I’m gonna assume both parties are correct, and it depends on what time of the day you’re napping.

The music’s changed to hip-hop now. Yup, I’m in New York.

The café here is sitting inside a mall-like structure that has a bunch of little stores and a GIANT supermarket. I’m going to take a little tour of the place later, when the café here becomes boring. Since I’m paying more than a dime a minute for internet service, I might peace out soon.

And we’re back to Reggae again.

So earlier today I went to a little general store called T-1000 or something like that. It’s got everything. I bought a surge protector, some hangars, and changed some money. There was a little boy that stood outside with a humongous umbrella (when I say humungous, I mean the diameter was probably about 8 feet or so) who walked me to the car like a princess. He smelled like pot and his eyes had trouble focusing, but I guess his job is boring enough he looks for other ways to entertain himself.

2 comments:

Purplestate said...

Good to hear from you, and I look forward to hearing more of your adventuring! You can catch my musings at rundowninprogress.blogspot.com, if you like.

Chris Martin

Maya said...

Hey Sweetheart! Glad to see you're keeping up on the blog in your first few days. Am definitely a little jealous of your newest adventure, but I'll just have to live vicariously for a little bit.
Enjoy!