Saturday, February 9, 2008

Beauty Treatment

Wednesday was supposed to be the day that we went on the wine tour, but the rain here has been unstoppable. All the locals are going crazy. Since Mendoza is usually a super dry place, and experiences only 18 days of rain or something, the fact that there's been almost 6 in a row by this point is making the locals restless. Nevertheless... the wine tour was pushed back to Thursday, and Linea and I decided to go get our nails done instead.

I think as far as beauty salons go, this was one of the high-end ones in Mendoza, but I will say that they were quite a "developing world" experience nonetheless. I don't know what it is about Americans, but time is money to us... especially in New York. As a result, even the beauty salons have their processes streamlined and practiced so that the least amount of time is wasted. This place, however, was not set up for efficiency at all. In order to get my feet done, I sat in a chair with one of those foot soakers on the floor in front of me for 10 minutes or so. Then I had to move to a massage table where they did the buffing of my toes and calluses and stuff. Then I had to move again to another chair that was kind of like a dentist chair while the lady doing my toes walked around the room (about the size of a typical dining room in the States) and grabbed nail polish remover from one corner, cotton from the other, cream from another, and whatnot. The impressive thing is that she didn't just bring them all over to where my feet were, but got up constantly, every time she needed to get something new. The entire process of getting my nails done took over 2 hours. I fell asleep.

It was nice to be pretty again, though.

No comments: