Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dancing Dominos

Tuesday turned out to be one of the coolest Bluefields experiences to date.  Somehow, for some reason, blueEnergy decided to have a party and co-host it with Bluefields Sound System.  It was especially interesting because we managed to figure out a way to get BSS to host the thing, so all we had to do was show up.


It turned out to be a really interesting crowd because we had all our extranjero voluntarios and a whole bunch of local BSS musicians and artists - the people BSS is trying to promote.  There was the occasional impromtu music concert, lots of beer, some local pharmeceuticals, and a set of Dominos.

Now, Dominos in Bluefields is like a religion.  People play it the way people in other countries play Chess or Go.  It's a delicate game of balance and manipulation.  When I saw the table of players in the corner of the balcony, I went over to watch a few hands, and quickly decided the game was kinda boring... but then I somehow got roped into playing, and suddenly the world of Dominos opened up.  There's a slow rhythm to the game - a pulse or beat - that you have to sculpt with a gentle hand in order to win.  The best way to play the game is with four players, where players sitting across from each other are team members and try to help each other out.  After a few hands, I started to catch on, and Moses (a local Rasta) and I became table champs for a good hour or so.

Whoo hooooo!  I've decided Dominos is my new favorite game.

Anyway, eventually we had to lose, and so I left the table to rejoin the rest of the festivities.  We danced and danced - I learned a few moves from Julie, who's been studying with the Spirit Dancers here in town (who knew your body could move like that?) and enjoyed being one of the three girls in the room (every time we go out I notice the distinct dearth of women out and about - there's something about children and staying home and cooking...).

The party was particular in it's chemistry, and I left that night feeling like I'd really felt what it was like to live in Bluefields like a local; local friends, local music, local dances, and local games.  Yay for Bluefields!

No comments: