Friday, April 4, 2008

Off to Monkey Point!

It's 6am on Friday morning. I've been awake since 4:20 listening to the roosters going insane. The past few days I was confused as to why I kept hearing rooster calls in the middle of the day since I was under the impression that they crow at sunrise. ... and this time I was awake at sunrise. Damn those creatures are crazy. No wonder the farmers wake up to them.

Anyway, the reason I'm up so early is that I'm on my way to Monkey Point. Monkey Point is one of the communities the blueEnergy serves. My job for the next few days is to talk to one of the locals who's interested in setting up a micro eco-tourism business. blueEnergy is interested in facilitating the growth of micro-business because businesses are the most reliable customers for our energy that we can have. A business would have an invested interest in maintaining the systems we install because it will depend on it. One of the problems we've encountered is that the accountability of the local people charged with sustaining the system in our absence is less than desired. Having a micro-business rely on our system would increase the probability that it is well-maintained. Additionally, a business would be able to pay for our services - something that is essential to the economic viability of our projects.

So off I go. I won't be posting anything for a few days, but I'm sure I'll have thousands of things to write about when I return. I mean, c'mon... we're bringing hammocks to use as beds.

No comments: