Saturday, March 22, 2008

Opera Pampa

Mommy, Daddy, and I all went to Opera Pampa last night - a show about the history of Argentina that includes traditional dances and music from the aboriginese people all the way up through to the modern Gaucho culture of the countryside and some of the traditional stuff from the city as well.  It was way touristy, but quite fun anyway.  We were nicely entertained.

Part of the show is an equestrian spectacle, so there are horses galloping around and people doing all these crazy tricks.  Unfortunately, unlike at Notorious, I had absolutely no idea how hard some of the tricks were to do because I have never ridden a horse (other than the 10 minute little stint at the zoo in Luján where I had no idea what I was doing) and cannot appreciate the intricacies of the art.  Nevertheless, Mommy assured me that the tricks they were doing were super hard.  The one most impressive to me was when the riders would get off the saddle and ride over the side of the horse, hidden from the audience by the horse itself.  At the last second they'd pop up out of nowhere and be on top of the horse again.  This was apparently one of the tactics the native americans used when fighting the colonists because it gave them the chance to blend into a herd of wild horses and get very close to the colonists without being noticed.

No comments: